Thursday, March 1, 2012

Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Cranberry-Pineapple Sauce


I'm a pretty big fan of using the slow cooker.  I mostly use it on the weekends when I have a little more time to prep a recipe but slow cooker meals can easily be prepped the night before and then placed in the slow cooker in the morning to cook while you are at work all day.  I recently came across this recipe on the Noble Pig website and wanted to try it out. I used one of our boneless pork roast from our meat order - this meal was enough for two dinners plus leftovers for one lunch.  Best of all, it was very easy to make!

1 boneless pork roast, about 4 to 5 pounds
Salt and pepper
Garlic powder
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Remove any string that might be holding the pork together and pat the roast dry. Season the roast with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. (Get the seasoning in all the crevices). Place roast in the slow-cooker.

In a large bowl, mix together pineapple, cranberry sauce, nutmeg, and cloves. Pour over the pork in the slow-cooker. Cover and cook for 7.5 hours on low.



Serve slices of pork with sauce spooned over top.


Cooking tip - I poured off some of the cooking liquid about half way through the cooking time.  It seemed like a lot of liquid was accumulating in the crock pot - maybe it wasn't necessary to pour some off but I did.  Also, I took out the roast when it was done and then poured the remaining liquid and pineapple-cranberry sauce into a fry pan.  I turned the heat to high and let the sauce reduce.  Stir frequently for about 3-5 minutes or until the sauce is at a consistency that you like.  


Note - I wasn't a huge fan of the cloves in the recipe.  I would cut them out next time.  Also, when I'm using the slow cooker, I usually turn it on 'high' to warm up and if possible, I leave it on high for the first hour of cooking.  I think this helps to bring the crock pot up to temperature more quickly but that's just my own personal theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment