Saturday, March 10, 2012

A new fav

As I mentioned before, I love using quinoa to make salads.  I've been grain-free for much of the past three weeks but have officially fallen off the Whole30 wagon and am starting to add variety back into my eating habits.  I came across this quinoa salad recipe a few weeks ago and have been dying to make it every since.  I whipped it up tonight for supper with friends, and trust me, it did not disappoint.  The original recipe can be found here but I will post it as well.  So far, I haven't made any major changes and don't know that I will.


Quinoa Salad with Kale and Feta (from Dinner with Julie and Babble)
Adapted from Beyond the Plate, where it was inspired by Dorie Greenspan’s Chard Stuffing. Quantities of each ingredient are up to you, of course – adjust each according to your taste.
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup dried cranberries
olive oil, for cooking
a small chunk of purple or white onion, thinly sliced
1 small bunch of kale, thinly sliced (discard the tough ribs)
salt and pepper
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted
a squeeze of lemon (optional)
Using the directions on the package, cook the quinoa for 15 minutes, until just tender and the germ separates, making a little curly Q. Add the cranberries to the pot, cover with a tea towel and the lid, and set aside to cool.
In a medium skillet set over medium-high heat, heat a drizzle of oil and sauté the onion for a couple minutes, until soft. Add the kale the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until wilted. If you like, add a small splash of water to the pan to create steam, and cover for a few minutes (I did not do this step). Season with salt. If you added water, remove the lid and cook until the moisture has cooked off.
Add the kale to the quinoa, along with the feta and almonds. Drizzle with oil (I probably used 1-2 tbsp of my good olive oil) and season with salt and pepper. Add a squeeze of lemon, if you like. Toss again and serve immediately. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment