Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Bacon-wrapped turkey meatloaf

We have a Christmas party every year and the theme changes from year to year.  This past December, the party's theme was bacon.  People brought amazing bacon dishes - too many to list here.  A few dishes really stood out and the turkey bacon meatloaf from the Kraft Canada website was one of them.  It was very easy to make and while it used a few processed foods that I normally don't have on hand, I would like to make it again.  Meatloaf  takes awhile to cook in the oven but it's fast to prep and yummy to eat.  When I made this for our party, I used cream instead of milk (because that's what I had excess of) but I wouldn't do that on a normal night.  While the cream made the meatloaf very moist, it certainly raised the fat content!


Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups milk
1 pkg. (120 g) Stove Top Lower Sodium Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1-3/4 lb. (790 g) lean ground turkey
green onions, chopped
egg
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 cup Kraft Double Cheddar Shredded Cheese
6 slices bacon

make it


HEAT oven to 400ºF.
ADD milk to stuffing mix in large bowl; stir just until moistened. Add all remaining ingredients except bacon; mix lightly.
SHAPE into 10x6-inch loaf in 13x9-inch baking dish. Arrange bacon slices in lengthwise fashion on top of loaf, overlapping slices as necessary to completely cover top.
BAKE 55 min. to 1 hour or until done (170ºF). Let stand 10 min. before removing from dish and slicing to serve.
NOTE
Allowing the meatloaf to stand before slicing it helps to retain the juices in the cooked meatloaf.





























Cooking tip - I turned the broiler on at the very end of the cooking time as I like my bacon very crispy and I felt like the bacon wasn't done enough for me after 60 mins in the oven.  Only leave the meatloaf under the broiler for 2-4 minutes and watch it closely so it doesn't burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment