Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Roasted pork tenderloin

So quick to cook
So cheap to buy
So good to eat

I love cooking with pork tenderloin.  It's a flavourful meat that is lean, low in fat, and very good value for your money.  Pork tenderloin often goes on sale for $5.00/lb and can occasionally be found for cheaper than that.  This means that I can buy one tenderloin for $4 and it will feed the three of us for supper with a small amount of leftovers for lunch the next day.  Pork tenderloin can be cooked in a variety of different ways but I usually use it for stir-fry or marinated and bbq'd.  However, I have started roasting it in the oven this year and am very happy with the results.  Tonight's recipe:

1 pork tenderloin
2 tbsp olive oil
2 minced cloves of garlic
salt and pepper
2 tsp spice rub (I used two different spice rubs from Hazelwood Herb Farm in Nanaimo*)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Mix spices, garlic and olive oil in a small bowl.  Using either your hands or a basting brush, rub spice/oil mix all over the pork.  Heat 1 tsp oil in a cast iron frying pan.  Brown the pork tenderloin on all sides (about 2-3 mins per side).  Once the meat is browned and your oven is warm, place the pork straight into the oven in your cast-iron frying pan.  Cook for approx. 10 mins on one side and 8 mins on the other side.  Your pork tenderloin is done when your meat thermometer reads 145-150 degrees (the temperature will continue to rise to after cooking).  Let your meat rest for 10 mins before you cut into it.  Yum!

*Note - I get a lot of great products from Hazelwood but it's easy for me because my parents/sister either bring those to me when they visit or I buy things when I'm on the Island.  Given that you are not likely to have the Hazelwood spice rubs in your cupboard, use a mixture of ground cumin, ginger, paprika, coriander, chili powder and oregano.  The quantity of your mix likely won't matter but start with an 1/8 of a teaspoon each.  There is no right or wrong when making a spice rub!

No comments:

Post a Comment