Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Dirty Dozen

I like to buy organic whenever possible.  But, I'm cheap and don't always want to pay the extra price for organic food.  To help ease my guilty conscience about only being able to afford organic food sometimes, I follow the Dirty Dozen list put out by the Environmental Working Group.  I used to carry around the handy wallet card that EWG puts out but they have since developed a free app for Iphones which makes my life just that much easier!

It is still important to do a quick price comparison between the organic and non-organic versions of the Clean 15 foods - there is occasionally only a minimal price difference between the two.  In those instances, I'll always buy the organic produce because I still think that organic is a better option (when possible).


EWG's Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce

Dirty Dozen
Buy these organic
1
Apple
Apples
2
Celery
Celery
3
Strawberries
Strawberries
4
Peaches
Peaches
5
Spinach
Spinach
6
Nectarines
Nectarines
– imported
7
Grapes
Grapes – imported
8
Red Pepper
Sweet bell peppers
9
Potatoe
Potatoes
10
Blueberries
Blueberries
– domestic
11
Lettuce
Lettuce
12
Kale
Kale/collard greens
Clean 15
Lowest in Pesticide
1
Onions
Onions
2
Sweet Corn
Sweet Corn
3
Pineapple
Pineapples
4
Avocado
Avocado
5
Asparagus
Asparagus
6
Peas
Sweet peas
7
Mango
Mangoes
8
Eggplant
Eggplant
9
Cantelope
Cantaloupe
- domestic
10
Kiwi
Kiwi
11
Cabbage
Cabbage
12
Watermelon
Watermelon
13
Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
14
Grapefruit
Grapefruit
15
Mushrooms
Mushrooms



No comments:

Post a Comment