Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Panko-crusted parmesan snapper

I almost always know what I am going to make for supper when I leave for work in the morning.  Yesterday was a bit of a challenging morning and I didn't have time to oganize supper plans.  A quick trip to Nesters brought me to the fish department in search of the halibut that was on sale.  Nesters was out of halibut but the snapper was fresh and decently priced.  I came up with this recipe while I was waiting for my fish to be wrapped - a quick review of a few different recipes on the internet showed me that I was on the right track. Scott declared it "the best dinner we've had in awhile".

Ingredients:
2-4 pieces of snapper
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp parika
1 tbsp Hazelwood Herb Farms Fish blend (or equal parts dried thyme, parsley, oregano, basil)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 egg (+ 1 tbsp cream/milk - see note in recipe)
1/2 cup flour
3 pie plates/low pasta bowls

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place flour in a flat pie plate or low pasta bowl.  Beat egg in another flat pie plate (if using 4 pieces of fish, add the cream to the egg to ensure you have enough liquid to coat the 4 pieces of fish). In your third pie plate, mix the panko, parmesan, and spices using a fork to ensure that the spices are evenly distributed.

Dredge each piece of fish in the flour.  Dip floured fish into egg mixture, turning to cover both sides.  Place the floured/egged fish into the parmesan/panko mixture and coat thoroughly.

Grease a baking sheet with 1 tbsp oil or oil spray.  Place fish on baking sheet and into the oven.  Cook for 10 minutes on one side before turning the fish to cook approximately 10 minutes on the other side.  Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.

Serve with fresh spring asparagus and the tomato/zucchini side dish.  Yum!

Cooking tip - This recipe would work well with any other type of white fish.  I probably wouldn't use it with salmon because that is such a flavorful fish already.

No comments:

Post a Comment