Wednesday, March 28, 2012

20 minute chicken dinner

This chicken dish was half of a fabulous meal that I made a few weeks ago.  I'll post the accompanying quinoa salad recipe soon but in the meantime, make this chicken dish!  It met my usual requirements for a quick and easy weeknight supper.

Ingredients:
2 large chicken breasts
1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 tsp grated fresh garlic
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp oil for sauce plus more to coat the frying pan

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Coat a cast-iron frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and set aside.

In a small mixing bowl, whisk maple syrup, vinegar, ginger, olive oil garlic, and spices until well blended.  Using a basting brush, coat the chicken (on both sides) thoroughly.  Put the chicken into the cast-iron pan and cover with any remaining sauce.

Put chicken into hot oven and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until your meat thermometer reads 165F. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.


2 comments:

  1. Does fresh ginger root freeze well? I have been using those herb tubes and find they last quite well compared to buying fresh regularly. For special meals I still use fresh.
    I think you have inspired me to buy a cast iron frying pan, I have been resisting it, but your recipes sound so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a really good question Kelly! I have never tried to freeze ginger so I'm not sure how it would do. We've been buying a fair amount of ginger lately because Scott bought a juicer and he uses ginger every morning in our juice. I find that fresh ginger lasts about a month on the counter so you could probably buy some and save it for awhile. I recently tried some organic ginger and it was about 10 times more powerful than the regular stuff! Scale back accordingly if you use organic. But, I'm sure the stuff from the tubes would work fine too.

    As you've noticed, I do love my cast iron frying pans! I have three pans and one cast iron dutch oven. They are great for stove top cooking and for the oven. Foods cook faster in cast iron in the oven which helps when you are trying to get supper on the table quickly plus, the chemicals in non-stick cookware scare me!

    If you don't have any cast iron, you can use regular corning ware or stone ware for these dishes but you may need to add a bit more time to your cooking.

    ReplyDelete