Monday, February 27, 2012

So simple, so good!

I love cooking but I especially like making things that are simple and delicious.  I recently came across a recipe for an easy side salad - one that fits our current Whole30 eating plan.

Simple tomato and avocado salad

1 tomato, diced
1 avocado, diced
2 tsp good olive oil
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar

Put diced tomato and avocado in a small bowl.  Season with salt and pepper. Add olive oil and vinegar.  Toss to coat.  Let sit for 10 mins to let flavours develop. I can only imagine how yummy this salad will be in the summer when we have our fresh CSA tomatoes!

Note - I recently bought the '3 leaf' President's Choice balsamic vinegar from Superstore.  I think that it was $5.99/bottle.  I found it to be pretty tasty for such a reasonably priced balsamic vinegar.

Note two - I always have two different types of olive oil on hand.  I buy one big cheap bottle from Costco and one smaller, more expensive bottle from where ever I can find a good deal.  I use the more expensive one in salad dressings and to pour over food when I want to enhance the flavour.  I use the other olive oil for general cooking and sauteing.  No point in wasting good olive oil to fry food!

No comments:

Post a Comment