Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Paleo breakfast smoothie

Our Whole30 eating plan requires that, amongst other things, you eat no wheat and no dairy.  This works ok for my lunches and dinners but I've started to get sick of eating only eggs for breakfast.  A quick trip around the internet got me thinking about breakfast smoothies.  I've made smoothies in the past and while I enjoy them, I found that they didn't keep me full for very long.  Enter the paleo smoothie!  It's full of flavour and best of all, it keeps my belly full.  There are multiple variations on this smoothie but here's what I'm currently enjoying:

1 banana (can be a frozen one from your stash of super ripe bananas in the freezer)
1 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp coconut cream (coconut milk that has been kept in the fridge and is now solid)
Sprinkle of cinnamon (1/8 tsp?)
1/2 tsp cocoa powder
1 shot espresso (optional).

Add all ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.  Keeps well in a travel mug while you drive to work. If you were eating dairy, I'm sure that you could easily substitute a few tablespoons of plain or vanilla yogurt for the coconut cream.   If you don't add the espresso, you will need to add a bit of water to thin it out.

Note - I have experimented with adding fresh spinach to this smoothie.  It was surprisingly good and the spinach was barely noticeable.

Shopping tip - Almond butter is cheapest (by far) at Costco.  I believe that a large jar of it costs $8.99.  Small jars  (half the size) at other stores cost about $6-8/jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment