Monday, February 27, 2012

Pumpkin Quinoa Muffins


  • I've had my first recipe request (how exciting!)  An anonymous poster requested some quinoa recipes.  I only started using quinoa in the last six months and I love it!  It's super easy to cook with and it's supposed to be amazingly good for you.  I will soon post some recipes for the various salads that I've made using quinoa but here's a great recipe for Quinoa Pumpkin muffins that my mom first made when she was out visiting us last fall.  It's been adapted from the Savy Mom website.  

  • ¾ cup whole wheat flour
  • ½ cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ cup brown sugar, packed
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg white (or just use two eggs)
  • ¼ cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
  • ¼ cup canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ¾ cup pumpkin purée
  • ½ cup cooked quinoa
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Prep and Cook
  • Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  • In a bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon using a whisk. Set aside.
  • In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, honey, egg, egg white, yogurt, oil and vanilla and mix well. Stir in the pumpkin, add the dry ingredients and the quinoa; mix until just combined.
  • Drop batter into a lined muffin tin filling the cups ⅔ full, and bake for 18 minutes. Check for doneness at 13 minutes.  Muffins will be done when they smell ready and when you can stick a knife in the middle and it comes out clean.  
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
  • Serve with butter.


Shopping tip - The cheapest place to buy quinoa is at Costco.  I don't have the price comparison numbers in front of me right now but I know that it's at least 50-75% cheaper at Costco than anywhere else.

Shopping tip #2 - The cheapest place to buy paper muffin cups is at Ikea.  Who would have thunk?!


No comments:

Post a Comment