Friday, May 4, 2012

Super fast chocolate mousse

I recently invited some friends over for supper on a whim (ran into them while biking the G8 trail here in Canmore) and I wanted to whip up a quick, easy, and gluten-free dessert. As often happens, my thoughts turned to chocolate.  Luckily, I remembered that I'd once made a fabulous chocolate mousse for a friend's 'meat only' potluck.  I was a bit of a smart ass when I decided to bring two soy based dishes to that potluck - one of them being this mousse.  The mousse is made with tofu but it's tasty and none of your guests would ever guess, even if they think they don't like tofu.  I've done almost nothing to change the recipe so you can find the original here or see my slightly adapted version below.

Ingredients: 
1 package silken tofu, room temperature
8 - 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
tablespoon vanilla extract


Directions:
1. Melt chocolate in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
2. Puree the tofu in a food processor or blender until smooth.
3. Add the melted chocolate and vanilla and puree again until the mixture is very smooth.
4. Pour into 4-6 serving dishes and chill until ready to serve. Alternatively, you can pour into one large serving bowl and chill.  
5. Top with fresh raspberries and whip cream (optional)


Cooking tip - This mousse is incredibly rich so you do not need a very large portion.  Promise! Also, if you had some almond or hazelnut extract on hand, I imagine that it would go nicely in addition to the vanilla.  

No comments:

Post a Comment