Monday, May 14, 2012

Calgary treats

As I mentioned in my last post, my sister Angie was visiting for the week and I was busy trying to show her some of the great food options available to her here in the Bow Valley and in Calgary.  We hit up the Little Lebanon cafe and yet again, it did not disappoint.  We shared a cheese pie along with an amazing chicken shawarma.  I can't speak highly enough of this place - go check it out!

Another tasty stop was Jelly Modern Donuts.  It's been well reviewed in numerous food publications but it still seems as though many are missing out on this yummy bakery because lots of folks have never heard of it.  Donuts seem to be the new cupcakes - a change that I'm quite happy with because I never really liked all the icing on those Crave cupcakes.  Jelly is worth the trip, even if you only sample the Maple Bacon doughnut.  My sister was completely skeptical about this doughnut but she was a convert after one bite! Jelly is a few blocks up from MEC and makes a nice stop on your way back to the Bow Valley (after hitting up Bumpy's for one of the best coffees in Calgary, of course!)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Crave icing but I am a icing lover! :)
    Mike goes on about the Maple bacon dounut. He gets them as gifts sometimes - I think the owners have kids that go to his school! I've never had one though......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's my issue - I've never been a fan of icing. I even used to request icing-free birthday cakes as a child (think strawberry shortcake with lots of whip cream!). You should still totally try one of those doughnuts - they're amazing!

    ReplyDelete