Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Montreal Bagels (in Calgary)

I've spent the past two days stuck at training in Calgary.  Driving through rush hour traffic (versus my usual quiet 20 minute drive to Banff) and sitting for 8 hours of training is not something that I look forward to.  However, my friend Lisa was at training with me and she was super keen to go check out a bagel place that her mom told her about.  So, off we raced to Montreal Bagels during one of our coffee breaks.

Lisa has spent quite a bit of time in Montreal and considers herself to be knowledgable about this style of bagel.  I, on the other hand, know little about bagel styles despite working at the Rocky Mountain Bagel Co. for many of my earlier years in Canmore.  What I do know is that I love bagels and that I'm always happy to check out a hidden gem.

Montreal Bagel is on the corner of Elbow Dr. and Heritage Dr. in SW Calgary.  It is in a small and unassuming strip mall.  They advertise baking the bagels in a wood-fired oven (which we noticed as soon as we went inside).  They were only selling 5 varieties of bagels when we went today but they were HOT from the oven!  I believe that a half dozen cost less than $5 and individual bagels were .70/each.  I think that they sold a couple of types of sandwiches along with cream cheese and montreal smoked meat.  I tried the sesame bagel and loved the mild sweetness of the dough.  The bagel was fabulous when it was fresh out of the oven but the toasted one I ate tonight was almost as delicious.  The decor leaves alot to be desired but this is clearly a place that just specializes in making bagels taste great.

Go check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment