Monday, June 25, 2012

Super quick carmel sauce

As did many a good Ladysmith gal, I spent much of my teenage years working at Dairy Queen.  I perfected the ice cream cone twirl and learned to make Buster Bars by the dozens.  I developed a fondness for Ultimate Burgers (such a shame that they've since changed the recipe) and a love of Pecan Cluster Blizzards.  I rarely go to Dairy Queen now as I find it a bit pricey but my love of Blizzards continues to this day.

It's mostly because of this Blizzard obsession that I've come up with this recipe.  I'm probably breaking some sort of food rule with it...I don't know if there is a proper way to make a carmel/butterscotch sauce but this is one that works for me.  It's quick and contains far fewer ingredients than jarred carmel sauce from the grocery store.  The amounts are approximate - I don't think that you can't go wrong with a little more or less of any one ingredient.


Ingredients:
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 glug (2 tsp?) golden corn syrup
1-2 tbsp cream

Directions:
1. Over low-medium heat, melt the butter.  Add the brown sugar and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
2.  Add the golden corn syrup and stir together with a whisk for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Take the mixture off the heat and slowly add the cream in quarters.  Whisk after each cream addition and put back onto heat for 30 seconds before adding more cream.
4. Add cream to your desired consistency.
5. Take off heat and allow to cool slightly before serving over ice cream or a treat of your choice.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment