Saturday, February 8, 2014

Paleo pancakes



For reasons that aren't entirely clear to me, I'm back doing the Whole30 again. I have a love/hate relationship with this way of eating but at least I have two friends who are joining me this time and they can share in the pain! I started last Saturday and after experiencing some intense 'hanger' for the first few days, I have mostly settled into life without sugar, gluten, dairy, and legumes.

While this way of eating isn't easy, it is a great opportunity to try some new recipes. Lisa, Carrie and I have been busy swapping ideas and sharing recipe reviews. This is my version of the Paleo Pancake that the three of us have been eating most days. There are tons of variations on this (see below) but this is the incarnation that I like best. This recipe was adapted from the Lululemon blog post on Paleo Pancakes.


Ingredients:
1 Banana
1 egg
1 tbsp ground almonds
1/4 tsp vanilla
coconut oil for cooking

Directions:
1. Using a fork, mash the banana in a small bowl. Add vanilla and ground almonds to the banana.
2. Crack an egg into the bowl and stir with a fork until well combined. Set aside for 5 mins.
3. Heat coconut oil in frying fan for 3 minutes (you want the pan to be decently hot).
4. Pour pancake mixture into frying pan and turn heat down slightly. Top pancake with fresh or frozen blueberries and cook for 5-7 mins on one side.
5. Carefully flip pancake and cook for another 3-5 mins.
6. Enjoy with a topping of your choice (butter and maple syrup would be fabulous!) - I'm currently eating these pancakes without any toppings and they are darn good this way.

Makes 1 pancake.

Tips:
1. It takes awhile to cook these pancakes so don't rush them.
2. Carrie and Lisa are making these with one banana, two eggs, and no ground almonds. I personally find this to be too eggy but play around with the recipe until you get to your personal preference.
3. The blueberries are optional but I think they make these pancakes extra yummy!
4. The original recipe calls for shredded coconut but I've yet to try that version. Please try them at home and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment