Friday, September 7, 2012

Caprese Salad


Scott's friend Rich was in Italy recently (I guess that Rich is considered my friend now too since I've known him for as long as I've known Scott - he was there when Scott and I met for our first "date", way back in 1993 - but I digress) and brought us back a fabulous bottle of olive oil.

I've talked a lot on this blog about 'good' olive oil vs 'regular' olive oil - this is decidedly a good bottle of olive oil. It's green in colour and bursting with flavour. An olive oil like this is best used in a dish where the flavour of the oil shines along with the other ingredients. Luckily (given that it's the end of summer and tomatoes are at their peak), caprese salad is one of those dishes.

Scott and I first discovered caprese salad on our own trip to Italy a few years ago.  It's incredibly simple to make but is always a crowd pleaser. As I mentioned above, it is best to make this salad when tomatoes are at their prime. Bocconcini cheese can be found in all major supermarkets, usually near the deli.  It's a soft mozzarella cheese that was traditionally made from milk from water buffalo. Commercial bocconcini is made with cow's milk and is much more reasonably priced that traditional bocconcini.

I recently bought locally-made bocconcini from Lina's Italian Market and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with it and wouldn't spend the extra money again. One day, however, I will spring for the real water buffalo bocconcini - just to see if I can taste the difference - but at almost $7 per ball, it's a bit pricey for me right now!

Ingredients:
3 large tomatoes, thickly sliced
3-5 large bocconcini balls, thickly sliced
10 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
Good quality extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Layer alternating slices of tomatoes and mozzarella on a plate or serving dish.
2. Generously drizzle with olive oil.
3. Season with salt and pepper to taste (this salad loves salt!)
4. Top with chopped basil. If you are so inclined, add a little more olive oil.
5. Serve at room temperature with a crusty bread and a nice glass of red wine

No comments:

Post a Comment