Saturday, September 22, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


Some parts of this recent pregnancy have been hard on me. I gave up downhill mountain biking for the summer and have sworn off cold beers on the patio until after the wee one arrives. And while these first two items are decidedly first-world problems, my other issue is more of an actual concern.

Since about the 17th week of pregnancy, I've been unable to walk without pain and can't stand on one leg without severe discomfort. I had a similar issue when I was pregnant with Lily but it didn't start until well into my third trimester. Unfortunately, pelvic girdle pain (or SPD, as it is also sometimes called) is a common re-occurrence in second (and subsequent) pregnancies, so I wasn't totally surprised when I developed symptoms this time around. There is not much that I can do about the SPD and while I know that things will improve after I give birth, it is fairly frustrating to be so limited in my movements - at this point, I can't walk longer than about 20 minutes at a time (even at a very slow pace) and I can't participate in many of the physical activities that I normally like to do.

Because I need to find a silver lining in this situation, I've yet again turned to cooking to take my mind off my frustrations. A good friend of mine recently gave birth to her first child and I've been inspired to stock her fridge and freezer with goodies that will fill her (and her husband's) belly while they adjust to parenthood.

Muffins are one of my go-to gifts for new parents. I remember how challenging it was to find time to eat after I gave birth to Lily and muffins became a saviour food for me. I try to make a batch whenever a friend has a baby - baby clothes make great gifts but food is always well received!

I photocopied this recipe many years ago from some un-named cookbook. These muffins are high in fibre, low in fat, and amazingly delicious! They are simple to make and have always turned out well. I wish that I could remember the name of the cookbook so I could give credit where credit is due but I can't. Please just know that this is not an original recipe of mine.

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup wheat bran
3/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups mashed bananas (approx 4-5 really ripe ones)
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Line a muffin pan with paper cup liners
3. In a large bowl, mix together all the dry ingredients using a fork or wire whisk
4. In a medium bowl, beat together all the wet ingredients. The mashed banana needs to be really well mixed in.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
6. Spoon into muffin cups and bake for 18-20 minutes (or until done)

makes 12

No comments:

Post a Comment