Friday, August 3, 2012

'Like a' Virgin Mojito

I was recently in Montana, hanging out with family and visiting with friends in Whitefish.  At the time of our visit, Jill (one of the best female downhillers' that I've ever had the pleasure of riding with) was about 9 1/2 months pregnant and very excited about her daughter's upcoming arrival.  

It was hot and we were both seeking a refreshing but non-alcoholic beverage as I am pregnant as well.  Jill introduced me to the virgin mojito and I was immediately hooked!    I was lucky enough to find some fresh mint at a farm market when I was on the second week of my holidays and I've since become a little bit obsessed with this drink.  




The non-alocholic version of the mojito isn't quite as satisfying as a regular mojito but it still tastes fresh and sparkly. I'm no expert on cocktail making so I thought that I'd need a muddler to make the drink.  A quick Google search told me that I did not need a special tool - rather, I could just use the end of a wooden spoon.  Muddled mint only takes a few presses of your wooden spoon as you don't want your mint to release bitter oil, just the nice flavour extracts.  

Play around with the flavours in this drink - add more mint if you like, reduce or increase the sugar, or throw in an extra slice of lemon.  Pregnant or not, this is one drink that should be in regular rotation on your summer beverage list.  

Ingredients:
4-6 pieces of fresh mint
1 tsp brown sugar
1 slice lemon
Club soda or carbonated water
Ice

Directions:
1. Place the mint and sugar in a tall beverage glass.  Gently press the mint and sugar together in the glass, using the end of a wooden spoon or a muddler.  
2. Add club soda or carbonated water to the glass and mix together.  
3. Add ice and squeeze the lemon slice into the drink.
4. Enjoy on a sunny patio (overlooking your favourite lake or body of water, if possible)




No comments:

Post a Comment