Saturday, April 14, 2012

Paleo Pork Balls

When we received our half pig last fall, I wasn't really sure what to do with all the ground pork that we got.  I'd never used ground pork before and was at a loss for a recipe idea.  Luckily, I came across this recipe during our Whole30 food cleanse and I'm now a bit obsessed with it.  


I've made it almost every week since I discovered the recipe and I've actually made very few changes to it.  I still feel as though it needs a little something else so if you have some suggestions, please let me know.  The original recipe is from 'The Clothes Make the Girl" website which is a great resource on eating and cooking Paleo.  My adapted version is below: 


Ingredients:
1 pound ground pork
1/2 tablespoon sea salt
2 tablespoon caraway seeds
1 tablespoon black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional - use dried if you have it on hand)
2 tablespoons grainy mustard (horseradish dijon works very well)


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees.  
2. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well blended.
3. Form into meatballs. One pound of pork will make approximately 9 meatballs. 
4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (only if you have some) and place meatballs on sheet.   
5. Place meatballs into hot oven and cook for 15 minutes. You want the edges to be slightly browned but without the meatballs being overcooked.  Try not to be tempted (as I was) to cook them longer than 15 minutes - it's plenty!

Cooking tip - This recipe really is the epitome of a fast and easy weeknight supper idea.  It probably takes about 5 minutes to prep the meatballs and they only take 15 minutes to cook in the oven.  I've typically been making the sauteed cabbage (as suggested in the original recipe) as one of our veggies along with some steamed broccoli or cauliflower.


Another cooking tip - I think that these would make fabulous pork burgers topped with tzatziki sauce and feta cheese.  I plan to try that idea soon but if you try it first, let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment