Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dining out in Calgary

I'm a pretty big fan of John Gilchrist's restaurant reviews.  I generally agree with his views and enjoy the wide variety of restaurants he samples.  He has published a number of books and recently developed two Iphone apps with the information from his books. Both apps are on sale right now (not sure for how long) and work on Iphones/Ipads.  I've downloaded both and am happy to no longer haul around his books whenever I'm looking for dining options.  Both apps include some restaurants in the Bow Valley as well.

One of the places that has been well reviewed by John (and others) is the Little Lebanon cafe on 17th Ave SW (up near 37th St).  We stopped by for a late lunch yesterday and I was not disappointed!  I've been before but have never taken Scott.  Their cheese pie is absolutely fabulous: fresh-made dough wrapped around a deliciously salty cheese and then baked in the oven.  Their spinach/feta pie is a little acidic for my liking but the stuffed grape leaves were very good as was the side of garlic sauce that I dipped the grape leaves into.

Scott ordered the medium chicken shawarma and was completed stuffed when he finished it.  We each enjoy their fresh Lebanese coffee with baklava as dessert.  The staff were very pleasant and happily answered any questions that I had about the menu.  If you are in the SW, I'd highly recommend checking out this yummy little cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment