Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Sustainable tuna



Other than worrying about whether or not dolphins were harmed during tuna fishing, I honestly haven't given much thought to the sourcing of canned tuna. However, I came across this post on the Eco-Bravo website and I thought that it was worthwhile information that should be shared with others.

The original list comes from the Greenpeace Canada website which is nice because it means that the information is Canadian-based. Having said that, I've never seen the Safeway brand of tuna at my local grocery store but I do plan to ask if they can bring it in. I did look at the prices of the Wild Planet and Rainforest Trading tuna at Nutter's and for me, these are too expensive for my grocery budget. But the Gold Seal brand is available at all local grocery stores and regularly goes on sale. And so for us, this seems like the most reasonable compromise for our family.


No comments:

Post a Comment